Full course description
- This introductory class will provide participants with an overview of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). We will look at the 3 underlying characteristics shared by these categories. These include challenges in communication, social skills, and restrictive and repetitive activities, and/or intense areas of interest. We will address how these characteristics impact the school learning environment and will introduce participants to resources for further instruction or interventions.
- This is an online only class. The course content will include some reading, video watching and reflection opportunities.*If you are working through the course while on a DCSD campus you will need to unblock YouTube temporarily to watch videos. This class is suitable for all DCSD and Charter School employees.
- Go to the Modules Tab to see all the material and assignments in one place. There are four total assignments for you to complete before finishing the class. Please shoot the instructors an email if you need any help.
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Jennifer Tilley | Kristi Bird
- Credits(s) and Type: 2 Hours Relicensure | Staff Development
- Online sessions are open in 3 week increments. The general flow of the course is self paced and through independent study. All material is due at the end date listed.
Here are the outcomes for the course (what participants will walk away with from the course).
- Identify the core features of autism spectrum disorder, as delineated by IDEA .
- Understand how features manifest differently in individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Speak knowledgeably regarding autism as a spectrum disorder.