What's the Best That Could Happen? By Debbie Miller Book Study is a Course
What's the Best That Could Happen? By Debbie Miller Book Study
Ended Apr 10, 2021
Spots remaining: 1
Enrollment is closed
Add yourself to the wait list and you'll be auto enrolled when a spot opens
Full course description
- Some people have asked about starting a book study this year. Some of you might feel like this is crazy and insane to do during a pandemic! WE TOTALLY HONOR YOUR FEELINGS. Others have mentioned they would feel comfort in reading and talking about instruction with others. This book study will be focusing on the book What’s the Best that Could Happen?, by Debbie Miller. This study is about wanting to synthesize your thoughts around how each day’s teaching can focus on children’s agency? We will be talking about cultivating a classroom that is student driven, uplifts engagement, and inspires choice all within the boundaries of accountability and honoring the standards. Each chapter digs into a question about teaching from Debbie's work with teachers and children across the country that will make us smarter about adding even more student agency in our classrooms. What if each day's teaching focused on children's agency? What if we made what children make and do our priority? What if our classroom environment and routines offered even more choice? What if we owned the units we were teaching? You'll find practical insights and critical understandings that will benefit you and your students. More importantly, you'll have opportunities to ask your beautiful questions, grapple with the messiness that surfaces, and find answers that inspire something new and worthy in your teaching. If you work with K-6 students then this book study is for you. Administrators are also welcome to join as we will be uplifting best instructional practices throughout each chapter. Grab your favorite warm drink and find a comfy chair as we embark on this new learning adventure together!
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Kristie Krier
- Credit(s) and Type: 8 Hours Relicensure
Date, Time & Location
- Date: 1.21.2021 | 2.18.2021 | 3.18.2021 | 4.8.2021
- Time: 4:00 - 6:00 PM
- Location: Soaring Hawk Library
- Google Meet link: enroll for details
Here are the outcomes for the course:
- Participants will synthesize their thoughts about student agency over the course of the book study using a journal.
- Participants will implement lesson sequences to match data collected from students.
- Teachers will reflect on the chapters in the book and collaborate with their peers to learn ways to uplift higher order thinking from their students