Full course description
The numbers of challenging students and the severity of their behaviors are increasing. Recognizing, understanding, and intervening in escalating behaviors is a necessary skill for all staff who may be faced with challenging behaviors. For further information visit the CPI Google Site.
Crisis Prevention Intervention focuses on management of non-compliant, disruptive, verbally and physically aggressive behavior. This interactive class will teach participants how to recognize stages of escalation behavior and how to respond effectively to stop the escalation cycle. Prevention of crisis and verbal de-escalation is stressed. Participants learn specific strategies for assisting both students and staff in alternative behaviors to avoid future escalation of behaviors. Physical restraint is taught and practiced as a last resort strategy.
The instructors are master level trainers certified by Crisis Prevention Intervention, Inc. CPI is an internationally recognized program that offers support for schools, law enforcement agencies, hospitals, and residential facilities. Certification from Crisis Prevention Intervention, Inc. will be granted, by the instructors, to all who complete the course and pass the assessment.
- Certified Staff
- Classified Staff
- DCSD Certified Substitute
- DCSD Student Teacher
Date, Time & Location
- Date: 8.13.2020
- Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Google Meet Link
Here are the outcomes for the course:
- Recognize levels of behavior a student may experience as he or she becomes agitated and the appropriate response to each level Identify nonverbal techniques to prevent acting out behavior Identify verbal techniques to de-escalate acting out behavior.
- Provide for the best care, welfare and safety for staff and students Identify team intervention strategies and techniques to support individuals.
- Build therapeutic post-vention techniques to be implemented after acting out behavior has occurred to aid individuals coping with crisis situations.
- Utilize district policies and procedures for intervention, reporting and making necessary changes to the environment to ensure the care, safety, security and welfare of students and staff.