Full course description
This class introduces participants to the 5 CASEL competencies: self-awareness, self-regulation, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making skills. There is a focus on the why behind SEL, the research about the effectiveness of SEL, along with activities and resources. The course is divided into three sections: WHAT is SEL, the WHY, and the HOW regarding SEL in our schools.
Summative: A basic understanding of the CASEL competencies and a common language for teachers to use with their students, colleagues, and parents around social-emotional learning. The goal is that participants bring awareness of how they are integrating SEL into their work.
Lead Learner: Cindy Redfern
Credit & Type: 3 Hrs Relicensure | Staff Development
- Self-Paced available throughout the 2020/2021 school year.
- Admin Pro-tech
- Certified Staff
- Classified Staff
- Charter Certified Staff
- Charter Classified Staff
- DCSD Certified Substitute
- DCSD Student Teacher
Participants will leave with:
- Knowledge of the 5 SEL CASEL competencies
- Understanding of the WHY behind bringing SEL into our schools and homes
- Actively participating in an SEL activity that can be used with students
- Resources to further their own knowledge