Full course description
- This virtual course will provide depth of understanding around the explicit teaching of academic language. The SIOP Model is based upon the important principle that content and language instruction should occur simultaneously in the classroom. This training supports this underlying principle by ensuring that teachers have access to the skills necessary to effectively select, teach, and support the academic language of their content. This course will have two required virtual meetings on April 10th (75 min) and May 8th (60 min) with self-paced work between these dates.
- Type of Course: Blended
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Sam Teres
- Credit(s) and Type: 10 Hours Relicensure | English Language Development (ELD)
- Certified Staff
- Open to Substitute Teachers = Yes
- Open to Student Teachers = Not at this time
- Open to Charter School Staff = Yes
- Charter Certified
Session 1: April 10, 2023, 4 - 5 PM, Virtual MeetingSessions 2 - 4: Self PacedSession 5: May 8, 2023, 4 - 5 PM, Virtual Meeting
Here are the outcomes for the course (what participants will walk away with from the course).
- Define academic language and distinguish it from social language.
- Write effective language objectives for a variety of language tasks.
- Plan explicit instruction, scaffolds, and practice opportunities for meeting language objectives.
- Identify methods for using technology to support the building of academic language.
- Share ways to promote academic discourse in the classroom.