Full course description
- Animal-assisted interventions are goal oriented and structured interventions that intentionally incorporate animals in health, education and human service for the purpose of therapeutic gains and improved health and wellness. In all these interventions, the animal may be part of a volunteer therapy animal team working under the direction of a professional or an animal that belongs to the professional him/herself. This course will orient new therapy animal handlers to DCSD in addition to providing support for best practices in all aspects of DCSD’s Therapy Dog Programming.
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Ellen Kerkhoff | Stephanie Crawford | Laura Wilson | Brooke Patterson | Danielle Morrison
- Credit(s) and Type: 2.5 Hours Relicensure
- Certified Staff, Classified Staff
- Open to Substitute Teachers = Not at this time
- Open to Student Teachers = Yes
- Open to Charter School Staff = Yes
- Charter Certified
Date, Time, and Location
- Date: September 5, 2023
- Time: 4:00- 6:30 PM
- Location: Inverness Laguna Room | 373 Inverness Pkwy Suite 207, Englewood, 80112
Here are the outcomes for the course:
- Participants will learn about best practices and DCSD policies in AAI to deliver services in a new program to students in a DCSD school.
- Topics covered include: What is AAI, Implementation Procedures, Ethical Considerations, and Discussion of Interventions.