Full course description
- This course will expose learners to the basics of Functional Sign Language that benefits diversity and inclusion through multi-modal communication. Learners will attend in-person and will be exposed to the sign alphabet, numbers, greetings, emotions/feelings, colors, family, animals, and Deaf culture. Instruction will allow for immediate feedback and ongoing dialogue with learners.
- Using functional signs can break down communication barriers and bridge the gap for authentic friendships among students. This provides a communication option for students who struggle to hear, nonverbal students, those with communication issues & delays, or who are visual learners. It allows inclusion for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, such as autism spectrum disorder and Down syndrome (Toth 2009).
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Tina Meyers | Emily Brandle | Trina Lovato-Quattlebaum | Tania Moore | Rebecca Farquharson | Kathy Holsapple
- Credit(s) and Type: 1 Hour Staff Development
- Certified Staff, Classified Staff
Date, Time, and Location
- Date: September 22, 2023
- Time: 10:50 am- 11:50 am
- Location: Douglas County High School South Campus, 2842 Front St, Castle Rock, CO 80104
Here are the outcomes for the course:
- Using functional signs to break down communication barriers and bridge the gap for authentic friendships among students