Full course description
- Teachers will read the novel The Newcomers by Helen Thorpe as it follows the lives of twenty-two immigrant teenagers throughout the course of the 2015-2016 school year at South High School in Denver, Colorado. These newcomers, ages fourteen to nineteen years old, come from nations affected by drought or famine or war. While reading this novel, teachers will have opportunities to reflect on their own students and experiences in the classroom and think about how they can use the knowledge/lessons gleaned from this story in their own practices.
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Natalie Reeser | Chandra Baca
- Credit(s) and Type: 10 Hours Relicensure | English Language Development (ELD)
- FE Admin/Pro-Tech, Certified Staff
- Open to Substitute Teachers = Not at this time
- Open to Student Teachers = Not at this time
Date, Time, and Location
- Date: May 15 - July 31, 2023
- Time: 4:15 - 5:30 PM
- Location: Franktown Elementary Learning Commons or Google Meet
Here are the outcomes for the course:
- Teachers will have opportunities to reflect on their own students and experiences in the classroom.
- Teachers will think about how they can use the knowledge/lessons gleaned from this story in their own practices.