Full course description
- This 2 hour course will expose learners to the basics of Functional Sign Language that benefits diversity and inclusion through multi-modal communication. Learners will attend in-person and will be exposed to the sign alphabet, numbers, greetings, emotions/feelings, colors, family, animals, and Deaf culture. Instruction will allow for immediate feedback and ongoing dialogue with learners.
- Using functional signs can break down communication barriers and bridge the gap for authentic friendships among students. This provides a communication option for students who struggle to hear, nonverbal students, those with communication issues & delays, or who are visual learners. It allows inclusion for students with intellectual and developmental disabilities, such as autism spectrum disorder and Down syndrome (Toth 2009).
- Lead Learner (Facilitator): Tina Meyers | Kelly Hilgers
- Credit(s) and Type: 2 Hours Relicensure | Staff Development
- Certified Staff, Classified Staff
- Open to Substitute Teachers = Not at this time
- Open to Student Teachers = Not at this time
- Open to Charter School Staff = Not at this time
Date, Time, and Location
- Date: February 17, 2023
- Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- Location: Highlands Ranch High School | 9375 Cresthill Ln, Highlands Ranch, 80130
Here are the outcomes for the course:
- Using functional signs to break down communication barriers and bridge the gap for authentic friendships among students