Full course description
This class introduces participants to the 5 CASEL competencies: self-awareness, self-regulation, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making skills. There is a focus on the why behind SEL, the research about the effectiveness of SEL, along with activities and resources. The course is divided into three sections: WHAT is SEL, the WHY, and the HOW regarding SEL in our schools.
Summative: A basic understanding of the CASEL competencies and a common language for teachers to use with their students, colleagues, and parents around social-emotional learning. The goal is that participants bring awareness of how they are integrating SEL into their work.
Lead Learner: Cynthia Redfern, Laurie LaComb, Ellen Kerkhoff
Credit & Type: 3 Hrs Relicensure | Staff Development
- Self-Paced course materials are available starting January 3, 2022 and should be completed by June 30, 2022. After June 30, 2022, the course information will still be available on your dashboard to view.
- Admin Pro-tech
- Certified Staff
- Classified Staff
- Charter Certified Staff
- Charter Classified Staff
- DCSD Certified Substitute
- DCSD Student Teacher
Participants will leave with:
- Knowledge of the 5 SEL CASEL competencies
- Understanding of the WHY behind bringing SEL into our schools and homes
- Actively participating in an SEL activity that can be used with students
- Resources to further their own knowledge